Phoenix LiDAR Systems was established in 2013 as Phoenix Aerial Systems. with the goal combining LiDAR scanning and UAV technologies into a complete solution for today’s generation of surveyors, giving them a system with a guaranteed return on investment – whether that is in terms of:
ELIMINATE DANGER: Increase on-location safety by eliminating the need to physically travel through and/or over hazardous terrain with a more cost-effective solution.
QUALITY & SPEED Phoenix LiDAR Systems works to increase speed of data acquisition while delivering precision, and quality control to effectively lower your job costs -- ultimately optimizing the factors that make a difference.
Our mission has become to build complete LiDAR mapping solutions crafted with quality hardware, innovative, intuitive software & vehicle flexibility in mind – to deliver surveyor-friendly solutions, enabling them to offer faster, safer & more economical service options without compromise.
Our (Industry) FirstsPhoenix LiDAR Systems was built on innovation and has established itself as the leader in commercial UAV LiDAR Systems.
- May 2012 – Foundation of Phoenix Aerial Systems + First UAV LiDAR integration prototyped – with support from Velodyne’s Dr. Wolfgang Juchmann
- July 2013 – Velodyne presents UAV LiDAR at sUSB Expo, crediting Phoenix – presented by Velodyne’s Dr. Wolfgang Juchmann followed by a standing ovation
- Summer 2013 – First real-time 3D point cloud visualizer – reducing data acquisition errors in the field
- Summer 2014 – First commercial UAV LiDAR system launches – the Phoenix AL2 system featuring a Velodyne sensor
- June 2015 – First fixed-wing UAV with LiDAR integration
- May 2016 – First VTOL fixed-wing UAV LiDAR system – increasing range and speed, and protecting LiDAR equipment from rough landings
- Nov 2016 – Phoenix Aerial Systems rebrands as Phoenix LiDAR Systems
- Feb 2017 – First real-time 3D point cloud with RGB fusion – introducing the colored point cloud visualization
- Sept 2017 – First cloud-based LiDAR post-processing platform, LiDARMill – reducing costs associated with LiDAR post-processing
- Dec 2017 – First UAV LiDAR flight planner tool
A highly experienced entrepreneur with over 15 successful years in the solar energy and electronics sectors. Grayson is a founding member of Phoenix LiDAR Systems and leads the development, sales and marketing of airborne and terrestrial laser mapping systems for PLS. With extensive experience in LiDAR and GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System), Grayson brings great product management skills to help progress PLS’ mapping products. Qualifications: BSc (Hons), Economics & Entrepreneurship, Cornell University
Ben Adler, Ph.D.
An accomplished developer and pioneer into UAV technology, Ben received his Ph.D. in “System Design and Real-Time Guidance of an UAV for Autonomous Exploration of Outdoor Environments” at the University of Hamburg. Ben is not only CTO, but also a founding member of Phoenix LiDAR Systems and leads technology development, and integration of airborne and terrestrial laser mapping systems for PLS. Qualifications: University of Hamburg, B.A., Ph.D.